Scampton Church - Parish council logo

Welcome to Scampton Parish Council


The parish of Scampton is in two parts:

  • The Village - situated approximately 6 miles north of Lincoln on the B1398 road that runs from Lincoln to Scunthorpe. In the village there are 85 homes and a population of approximatley 180.
  • The RAF Base - at the top of the cliff edge at the side of the A15 road. The Base is home to both civilian and RAF personal. On the base there are 400 homes with approximately 600 residents.

Scampton is the fourth of the Springline villages that sit on the Lincolnshire Edge, a lime stone fault which runs from Grantham to the Humber.

The old Scampton Hall was knocked down many years ago but one archway has survived. It is now in the garden of a privately owned house and can be viewed with permission of the owner. The Church of St John the Baptist is mainly 18th century but parts date back to the 17th century. In the graveyard there are war graves of both British and German service men.

The RAF Base was first formed in November 1916 under the name of Brattleby and changed to RAF Scampton in 1917. In 1920 it closed until 1930, when it was rebuilt and played a large roll in the Second World War as a Bomber Command Base and the home of the Dambusters. The Base closed once again in 1956 and underwent an expansion program, after which it became home to the Vulcan Bombers until the eighties. In 1995 the Station was reduced to care and maintenance and sections of the housing were sold to civilians. In 2000 the Station once again became operational and is currently home to the Red Arrows Aerobatic Team.

There is a RAF Scampton Historical Museum on the base. This can be visited by prior appointment by contacting Mervyn Hallam, either by E-mail at or telephone 01522 879137 or OC RAF Scampton Museum, Squ Ldr R Heath tel: 01522 733148. (There is more information available on and for the Red Arrows go to or their official fan club at